Affidavit in support of a request for reopening
This document permits to request the reopening of the file.The defendant:
- was convicted in the person’s absence by the court;
- did not receive his notice of trial;
- decided against showing up at his trial.
For all the reasons stated above, the application enables the defendant to request a reopening of the file and obtain a new trial date.
Motion for extension of time to pay fine
This document can be used to request, to the Justice of the Peace, an extension of time to pay an offence fine.
The client must fill out this application and present it to the Justice of the Peace, at the Provincial Offences Office, in order to get a delay paying his fine(s) without penalty.
You may choose to plead guilty to the certificate of offence, but with an explanation. You will then have to show up before a Justice of the Peace.
The Justice of the Peace is at the office on Monday mornings only (with the exception of statutory holidays). To confirm date and time, call 613.675.4661 or 1.800.667.6307, extension 2700.
Please note that according to the explanation, the Justice of the Peace may:
- Reduce the amount ($) of the fine;
- Grant an extension of time to pay a fine.
The Justice of the Peace may not:
- Reduce the accusation. For example: reduce a speeding fine from 20 to 15 km per hour;
- Remove or reduce applicable demerit points